MACON, Georgia (KBTV) – If you haven’t filed your income taxes yet, you can do so right now with help for FREE.
The UGA Cooperative Extension Office is offering free tax preparation service for Macon-Bibb residents. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, or VITA, is offered in tandem with the Internal Revenue Service, includes filing for federal and state income tax returns, and is available now through March 30. The filings will be reviewed by IRS-certified students on campus in Athens at the Charles Schwab Institute. Clients will work with the student virtually. All filings will be reviewed by an IRS certified Site Supervisor before uploading to TaxSlayer.
Anyone who makes an appointment for VITA should bring the following:
- Driver’s License or State ID for yourself and your spouse
- Social security cards for yourself, spouse, and dependents
- Income documents from all employees (W2, 1099, self-employment)
- Previous tax returns
- Proof of bank account including routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- American Cares Act Statements (1095-A, B, or C)
To make an appointment, call (478) 751-6338 or email Keishon Thomas at ThomasKJ@UGA.edu.